Thursday, January 23, 2014

Was It REALLY Ten Days Ago?!?!?

WOW, a week ago last Tuesday I was undergoing my sleeve gastrectomy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_gastrectomy I can't believe it has been over a week! The past ten days have sure been a wild ride. My time in the hospital is all kind of fuzzy. I had a morphine pump for 24 hours--which I really didn't want to use--but DID! I remember not eating much--the choices of food on my tray were less than appetizing--broth (which tasted like warm water), protein enriched jello (think of jello--that is completely opaque--yuk) and a luke warm protein shake--all of which were disgusting! Three to four times a day either Greg or the nursing staff got me up to walk--thinking back--I don't remember too many of those walks--that may have been a little dangerous--although--either Greg or a nurse was always with me--to catch me if I decided to do a face plant!! When they finally took me off the morphine pump--they tried to give me a liquid pain killer which made me sick--this in turn caused me to have to stay in the hospital an extra day. During my entire stay--my wonderful husband was right there beside me--encouraging me, scolding me and making sure I was doing what I was supposed to do. He has been a WONDERFUL nurse! I have to say--from the surgical team--headed by Anne Rogers M.D.
http://www.pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1454http://www.pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1454 --to the nursing staff--right down to the people emptying the trash in my room--EVERYONE at Hershey Medical Center was amazing! I appreciate the great care I was given during my stay!

Since I have been home--progress has been slow. I'm not sure what I was thinking prior to surgery--but I didn't really consider the pain--and all I can say is--IT HURTS!!!! At first--it hurt all the time--when I moved--when I swallowed anything--when I coughed--every time I took a breath. I mean--ALL THE TIME! Each day, things have gotten a bit better. It still hurts a lot on my left side--which is where they removed my stomach. However, I can now drink most liquids without too much pain. Eating the pureed food that I've been able to eat since Tuesday--still causes me a lot of pain. It feels like someone is taking a knife and sticking it under my ribcage and wiggling it around! The pain takes my breath away and literally causes me to cry out in pain. (I feel like such a winer!!) Anyway, I called the team at Hershey to ask about the pain and was told that "yes--it can be a side effect of the surgery." Those of us who are "lucky enough" to experience this type of pain--can "enjoy it" for up to four weeks!! Oh yes--just what I wanted to hear!!

My eating has been quite the experience the past 10 days. I feel like I am eating/drinking not stop each day. I can only eat small amounts--1/4 cup total at each meal. Between meals I have to have a high protein shake. I am only consuming 800 calories a day. In order to not become deficient in my vitamins and the protein I need--I have to have take multi-vitamins, calcium, and B-12 each day--and must consume a minimum of 75 grams of protein a day for the first six months. For eating so little--my life is now consumed with thinking about food. The nice thing is--I really don't feel like eating--which can be good and bad. It certainly is a change--having to force myself to eat!! :o)

The care I have received since I have been home has certainly rallied that of the crew from Hershey. My husband Greg--is an extraordinary human being. I cannot thank him enough for the incredible support, love, constant care and pampering he gives me each day! Thank You Greg--I LOVE YOU! I also need to give a shout out and a HUGE thank you to his parents--my in-laws--Paul and Peggy Buck. What an incredible job they did in raising their son!!

We have news on the new house--FINALLY!!!! We had closing on our loan last night. Things couldn't have gone more smoothly--we had closing right in our living room--talk about customer service! This means that we can break ground at anytime!! (Of course that's if the weather cooperates!) It's been a long time--but I finally feel like I can let myself get excited! By July--we should be all moved in!!

I do believe the next six months are going to fly by--I don't want to wish any of my life away--but I am so excited to see what these next six months hold! Whatever it is--Greg and I will certainly face it together--supporting each other through all the ups and downs (and I know there will be lots of those!) because that's just what we do!!

In closing--I just want to thank everyone for all the flowers, cards, e-mails, letters--I'm overwhelmed by your encouragement, concern and support. Thank You!






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo Jenny B! Im so happy for you and Greg. I csnt wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you would've taken/posted pictures of your post-op food choices (though you do paint a beautiful picture with words). I already cannot wait to see you/house progress in April.

    ReplyDelete